My Selfless Act is a place where anyone can find volunteer opportunities online. We believe that kindness and altruism should be promoted offline and online to get more people volunteering for NGOs. In this blog we give you five reasons why you should start looking for volunteering opportunities near you.
1. Volunteering Helps You Feel ConnectedThe famous comic and actor Robin Williams quoted, "I used to think the worst thing in life is to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone" engendering the importance of company. It really matters the kind of people you mingle with. Outdoor volunteering activities opportunes you to meet like minded people, working together for a common goal. When you and the people around you have the same meaning to life and motivation, you will feel connected and at home.
2. Volunteering Can Help With Your Career and AcademicsEmployers and Universities look for candidates that have a well rounded CV than a pointed one. In other words it is advised to be good at five things than to be really good at only one. Your interest in volunteering also gives the other person a good personality assessment of you. Altruism and kindness can give you a leverage in many aspects of society.
3. Volunteering is Good for HealthBeing kid and doing good to others reduces your cortisol level, cortisol is known as the stress hormone. Also as Leo Tolstoy says, "Man cannot live without meaning" and what better a meaning than to reduce the suffering in world. When you lead a life without meaning you go into depression right off the bat, and the stats are clear on that. Cortisol-induced-stress and depression can take a toll on your physical health as well. So be in search for nonprofit volunteering opportunities, they will actually profit you.
4. Volunteering Increases Your NetworkHaving a good, stretched out network is one of the most helpful things in life. People take many years to realise that. Quoting Sidney Sheldon, "to be lucky, you just need to show up more often". The more people you meet, the more contacts you make the better it is to go forward in life.
5. Volunteering Gives You a Sense of FulfillmentAccording to Maslow's hierarchy of needs, self fulfilment is most mature need to have. It keeps anxiety, depression and despair away. Volunteering and Charity when done makes your life feel worthwhile.
Even though this blog is an antithesis in itself as we think volunteering should be done just for the sake of it and not for any personal gains, our motivation to write it was just to get peoples’ hands dirty by doing good deeds.